Come Blog with Me and Ride the Crest of The Blogging Wave of Internet Business
┐by: Woon Sung Liang
When I first heard of the word ┐blog┐ years ago in the mid 90┐s, I was puzzled as to why I did not hear it earlier, having been immersed in the English language for more that 4 decades!
Naturally, I reached for my half-a-dozen copies of dictionaries on the shelf to check for its meaning but I could not find one. The reason is simple...... the word ┐BLOG┐ simply did not exist in my dictionaries including the Oxford Dictionary!
A frantic search led me to Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang that eventually gave me a clue. It says ┐blog noun An Internet website containing an eclectic and frequently updated assortment of items of interest to its author. 1999-. [Shortening of weblog.] So blogger, noun┐
Not happy with this half-hearted and vague explanation, I ventured into the Web to so further ┐research┐.
Lo and behold! I┐ve got some more meaningful citations. Below is a list of these.
- Blog is short for weblog. A weblog is a journal (or newsletter) that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the Web site.
- A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is "blogging" and someone who keeps a blog is a "blogger." Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog.
- A blog is information that is instantly published to a Web site. Blog scripting allows someone to automatically post information to a Web site. The information first goes to a blogger Web site. Then the information is automatically inserted into a template tailored for your Web site.
- A short form for weblog, a frequent and chronological publication of comments and thoughts on the web. They usually include philosophical reflections, opinions on the Internet and social or political issues.
- Web LOG is a journal kept on the internet. This journal is often updated daily and contains all information that the person maintaining the BLOG (Blogger) wishes to share with the world. Also applies to websites dedicated to a particular topic and being updated with the latest news, views and trends.
There┐s no need to go on because I┐m now more than satisfied.
Many years have passed since and blogging has come a long way indeed. Not only can you do all the above mentioned, you could now make full use of it to promote and expand your Internet business.
Savvy marketers have discovered that blogging is one of the best Internet marketing methods that is free because you could create your blog almost immediately at no cost compared to the setting up of a conventional website.
Putting information in your blog to help establishing your presence in the Web is now a growing phenomenon. Blogging for your Internet business is one surefire way to enhance the visibility of your products and services.
With the continuing improvement in software technology, publishing, introducing plug-ins, banners, pictures etc to create a fun and interesting ┐website┐ has become a breeze even to those with old and rusty brains like me.
Here is what you could do to improve your Internet online business:-
1) Give advice to your visitors on specific tips, tricks and opportunities related to your own business with the objective to increase awareness not only about yourself but also your business. This will establish you as an authority with customers, prospects and casual visitors through your publications.
2) Encourage readers to leave their comments and feedback. Positive feedback could some times help you to improve your website design, layout, content and hence your buisness.
3) Make announcement and broadcasting on any new changes or offers available in your main websites, for instance, new products and/or services.
4) All your postings in your blog could be kept in an Archive file which is very friendly for retrieving. You can therefore keep track of all your business plans and old but important information. 5) Any articles which you have written and posted could be reprinted by others for their own websites with your permission on condition that the resource box about the author remains unchanged i.e. with all your important URLs intact. This would link your websites to other websites hence exposing your business to more visitors.
6) Try adding fresh and quality content to it on a regular basis since search engines like fresh content. As a result, search engines will list your website in their directories. As soon as you have pages of your blog in the search engines, you'll start attracting free traffic to your site without having to paying a dime for it.
7) Include links that will fetch back links and subsequently improve your ranking on search engines. Affiliate links in the form of advertisement banners could also be included in your blog to earn more extra income.
8) You scratch my back and I┐ll scratch yours. You can have some kind of link exchanges with other bloggers for mutual benefits of increasing traffic to your blog and other main websites.
9) In summary, there┐s almost no limit to what you could and want to do with your blog. You can include your ideas, opinions, expertise in your field of work, resumes, home recipes, pictures, streaming audio or video clips, e-books, poetry, products, services, consultations etc., etc.
What are the main differences between a blog and a website then? You may ask.
Most websites are relatively permanent with only occasional updating. With blogs, you could post any new content almost on daily basis. Also, websites are usually less personal as far as their relationship with the visitors is concerned.
Visitors to your blog could leave comment after their visits which sometimes could prompt a follow-up discussion between you and them resulting with both parties learning from each another.
So how do you start blogging? There are many host services providers you could join. Among the most popular are Blogger.com and LiveJournal.com. I┐m using Blogger.com which I find serving my needs just perfectly.
In closing, you must realize that to be successful in running your business blog, you need to be very passionate about products and services. Share your ideas, opinions and thoughts to assert yourself as an authority in your field. The visitors who are your customers or potential customers would remember your blog and keep coming back.
COME BLOG WITH ME TODAY and ride the crest of the business blogging wave! Happy blogging!
Copyright 2005 Woon Sung Liang
About The Author
Sung-Liang Woon is a Rubber and Latex Consultant with about 25 years of experience. He enjoys writing, lecturing,travelling, playing flamenco guitar and singing. Not long ago, he didn't know ANYTHING about Internet marketing.However, within just a few weeks, he launched his own professional website and learned how to PROFIT from an opt-in list, pull in sales with ezines, make money with writing articles and setup his own BLOG! Check this fantastic website to find out how he has done it: http://www.PlugInProfitSite.com/main-9747
Visit his website http://www.johnwoon.com.